The Judicial Reform and Institutional Strengthening (JURIST) Project is continuing to monitor the negative effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on CARICOM Member States and the worldwide community.
Based on international projections, it is expected that the pandemic and/or its effects may continue for some time well into the future. The JURIST Project, has from the start of the pandemic, been following recommendations from Global Affairs Canada, the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) as well as the international community to maintain the health and safety of its employees and stakeholders.
Based on the directives of the Government of Trinidad and Tobago, the JURIST Project has taken a decision to close it offices to the public and to maintain a work from home policy in keeping with social distancing recommendation to control the spread of the virus. During this time, the Project will continue to implement its work plan by supporting regional judiciaries in proactive steps to continue operations and manage expectations. This includes:
- Working remotely while increasing online project collaboration, to minimize face to face or in person interactions;
- Utilizing virtual meetings and video conferencing;
- Using facilities such as Microsoft teams;
- Contacting judiciaries through the increased use of Skype, Zoom or WIFI calling such as WhatsApp video or voice calling, depending on the bandwidth requirements;
- Determining the bandwidth capabilities of local judiciaries for interaction;
- Utilizing the online facilities of judiciaries;
- Considering using options like UWI Open Campus facilities once available and/ or hotel or similar facilities that may be available;
- Using file sharing services like OneDrive for collaboration; and
- Using Project Status and tracking of results – while using online collaborative tools mentioned above.
The Project will continue to collaborate with judiciaries on the implementation of activities and advises them to please contact us if they require any assistance with their own business continuity measures.
We trust that everyone will continue to be safe during this time.
The JURIST Project Team